On the other hand the broad use of communication technology may work to control and to direct communication. Censorship, data acceleration, interruption of communication between individuals and groups are a concern of companies and governments since ever.
In times, where a lot of communication takes places electronically, we have to rethink our care for privacy. Currently most communication data might be stored and analized through those who are not the addressee. For maintaining privacy we need to use specific tools that make surveillance less possible or even impossible.
Beyond this defensive motivation there could be another reason for showing interest for technical tools for protection. Privacy means not only to defend ourselves against nosey pencil pushers. Through a privacy-aware attitude civil actors contributes to more quality of communication and shape spaces of confidentiality.
 Introductions Into Privacy and Tracking
- Security in a Box: Tactical Tech Collective gives an up-to-date overview over general aspects and tools for privacy protection.
- My Shadow: Tactical Tech Collective's introduction into tracking technologies
- Digitale Selbstverteidigung: Digital courage's German languaged privacy page
- Big Brother Awards These negative awards give you an insight in the state of art of big data and surveillance.
- Do Not Track: ARTE's videos introduce into the world of Big Data in German, English, French
 Principles & Criteria
- The longer your passwords the better.
- Include upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters, and a space if possible.
- No dictionary words and publicly available information about yourself
- Consider using a phrase
- Different passwords for different services
- Update them regularly
The best electronic tool does not help, when your password is written in an email that is saved in an online email account. Here it can easily be read out. Therefore passwords should better be stored in a more safe place, in example with a Password Managers. These are digital wallets. If you use them, you need only to know one password for accessing the database of such a software. And you might copy and paste them into a form without anibody seeing the password when looking over your shoulder.
 Virtual Keyboards
Virtual Keyboards do you know from mobile devices as screen keyboards. These may help when you want to hide your keystrokes from programs logging secretely, which keys you press.
- Virtual Keyboards are on board in Linux, Win, MacOS
 Disk Encryption
Disk Encryption makes it complicated or impossible to read hard disks without authization.
- Encryption may be activated in Android in the system settings.
- Standard software is included in Linux which allows you to activate encription during the installatlion process of your system.
- In some Windows versions you might chose Bitlocker as an encryption tool.
- In MacOS the standard program is FileVault.
- Open source solution: True Crypt - But only version 7.01a!
 File Encryption
- Again: True Crypt - but only version 7.01a!
- For encryption of single files using PGP-technology: GnuPG on Windows, Linux, MacOS
 Lock & Screensaver
When you use your computer in cafés and you are on the toilet, make sure that your device is saved from nosey neighbors. A screen saver password locks your computer when the screen saver is on. Or,
- when going to the toilet, use the lock command.
 Safe Connections
Between your computer and the internet will be established a connection. In cafés, Hotels, or in some public spaces you get it for free through Ethernet (internet cable) or WiFi. Please consider, that this is not confidential. The guy on the reception may even track your browser history if he uses the right programs. And if you do not visit a SSL secured website (starts with https://), as well the content of visited websites.
VPN is a tool that helps you to surf and email save in critical environments and countries with a strong surveillance policy. This technology builds an encrypted connection to a server in a trustful environment. Therefore you access the internet through this trustful server, not directly through your hotel WiFi.
- VPN clients are included in Linux and MacOS
- VPN server need to be set up, often you need to buy a license from one provider.
'SSL' holds back those who would like to read the content of the websites you visited. In example, when you fill out an online form. Or for dinding out, which news you received in your Inbox.
- In Firefox, Chrome and Opera you might use HTTPS-everywhere. Then you automatically access through SSL, if a website offers this technology.
TOR-Project provides browsers that hide your access data. For the servers, that you are addressing and the men in the middle between you and the website you are seen as someone else with a different IP address than your existing address. This technology works as well, when you have no VPN-connection but need to surf confidential.
 Typing Confidential Personal Information
- Especially if you access webmailers or an online form where you type in your email address or your personal information - connect with https://.
- Use a more private search engine like: DuckDuckGo
 Clear Surf History and Cookies
Cookies are files left on your computer that track you. Unfortunately we need these for some things like webmailers or access to other webpages with a log in. But you might influence which kind of cookies might be accepted and when it will be deleted.
- You might use the option "empty cache/delete cookies" by hand.
- Try, if you may do what you want to do while blocking cookies in general. If not, then at least activate in your browser preferences: "Keep local data only until you quit your browser"
 Block Tracking in General
- Explain your browser that in general it should not track your behavior by activating the "Do Not Track" function. Some websites care for that.
- A smart Firefox or Chrome plugin like Ghostery gives control over how your data is collected and used on sites and in ads. As well the Firefox Add-on Lightbeam
 Saving Passwords in Browsers (not)
- Do not save passwords in your browser.
- If you do so, use a master password
- Do not allow websites to "save my password" or "keep me logged in"
- Secure Messaging Scorecard: Overview over reliable software
 Video Communication
- Similar to Skype: Jitsi
- Redphone for Smartphones. Those, who exchanged their encryption keys, automatically establish an encrypted connection with each other. 
- Alternative to WhatsApp: TextSecure (Android) and Signal (MacOS)
- Another Alternative to WhatsApp: ChatSecure (Android)
 Text Collaboration
- Etherpad: A safe alternative to working together through googledoc. But only when you generate a random link and only those, tjhat should know the link know it. Open an Etherpad
- The best available Email solution is currently German https://posteo.de for 1€/month
- Using an email client is the more safe solution that allows you to use encryption: Email Encryption
 Safety on your mobile device
Your mobile phone provider and network providers track you through account data, bill data, your personal SIM-number (IMSI), the number of your device (IMEI) and, if governments come into the game, as well more things (i.e. they block the access to your number during demonstrations). Additionally app programmers try to offer you apps for free, that have the only one reason - to spy. Or why does your pocket lamp app require access to your contacts? Depending from your surrounding and activity, you should take these technical feasabilities into account.
- Clueful Privacy Advisor: Helps you to identify unconfidential apps and malware
- Really confidential talks require to turn off your mobile phone, best to do it in the minibar.
- Save your device with a password.
- Use the above described safe tools for communication.