The method addresses the communicative skills and helps to reflect opposite points of view in a discussion. Therefore two groups discuss the opposite opinions regarding a topic. This may be a general relevant topic or a specific controverse issue in your training.
 How to do it
Your groups will be divided into two randomly selected groups. The moderator introduces the main question for the debate.
One representative of one group draws a lot with a pro or a contra written on it. Therefore it does not matter if disputants are personally convinced from what they will discuss during the following debate.
 Identifying arguments
Every group collects its arguments and, doing this, tries to assume, what the other group will introduce to the discussion.
 Deciding about the list of speakers
Like in a parliamentl, every group decides in which sequence the speakers will discuss.
Now the groups start the discussion. Every speaker has only one minute time to contribute to the discussion. The moderator stops immediately after this minute and gives the opposite party the word.
1. Regarding to the lists of speakers, the number one of the pro group starts. 2. Then number one of the contra group follows. 3. Number 2 of the pro group overtakes 4. ...
The last participants have the honor to summarize the main arguments for each party They do not introduce new aspects.
- Did you learn new aspects?
- How was the cooperation in your group?
- Was it fair and respectful?
- How was it for you to discuss a topic in a controversial way?
- Were you able to follow your common concept which you designed in the beginning?
- Which arguments appeared to be your most striking ones?
- Which arguments were the most striking of your opponents?